Monday, August 29, 2016

A Senior Captain's Thoughts

If there's one thing I've learned this week, it's that becoming a Calvin volleyball senior and captain does not come without immense responsibility, on and off the court. This, along with the stress of applying to physical therapy graduate school and school starting, makes for a hectic life  That being said, I wouldn't trade any of these responsibilities for the world. 

I am learning about myself as well, in the midst of the chaos of preseason. Thinking beyond the season, I will admit I am scared of not having volleyball in my life. The past 3 years these girls and coaches have been my family and Cball has been a sense of home and security for me. I'm both terrified and excited to discover who I will be after my volleyball chapter comes to a close.

Our retreat this year was one of the best yet. My favorite memory was making 5 minute movies. The teams were divided by class, with the seniors joining the coaches. Megan Rietema had the idea of remaking the movie "Jaws"....with Coach Warners playing the shark. I've never seen Coach in that element (she actually got in the water) and I loved every second of it! 

Thanks to the Olivet Partner Challenge (A test partners on the team take to see how well they know each other), Abby Moore and I truly now know each other on a deeper, perhaps even creepier, level. (Shout-out to Mark, Karen, Sam, Joe, and Gus (dog) Moore).  Don't worry, we'll take good care of Ab Mo here! 


Overall, I think the retreat was an awesome start to building 19 sisters strong. I think the newcomers are really starting to find their place on the team! Seeing their personalities start to develop is so much fun! This upcoming weekend's Chicago tournament is going to be amazing!! Looking forward to this season with all of these lovely ladies! 


Love, 

Laura Danhoff 

No comments:

Post a Comment