Tuesday, September 6, 2016

       Hi everyone, this is Sarah DeVries, a freshman volleyball player. Going into my second week at Calvin, I already feel pretty much at home. I've finally moved everything into my real dorm, which helps feel like I'm settled in. I'm so excited to start dorm life and everything else that goes along with being a freshmen here at Calvin. Don't get me wrong, though, I really loved living on the same floor as the rest of the team during preseason. It was so fun all hanging out in someone's room at night just talking and laughing.
         The first week was a time of adjustments. It was adjustment to live in a new place and constantly be with new people. The level of volleyball was also an adjustment as it is higher than my high school level. But I couldn't ask for a better group of girls to go through this transition with. I've never met people more selfless, encouraging, humble, or kinder than these girls. The team does such a good job at making the freshman feel as much a part of the team as anyone else right from the beginning. I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with the team on and off the court. One thing that sticks out to me about the team is the encouragement and ability to push each other during the challenges. For our preseason we have a number of challenges name after teams in the MIAA conference. For example, one of the challenges is the Trine Bridge run where we all run up and down the stairs and across the Calvin bridge. These girls will push you, encourage you, and run besides you even after they just ran to help you beat the bridge or any other challenge. I think this is the perfect example of what Calvin Volleyball is about: teamwork, resilience, hard-work, love and more. Some highlights from the part two weeks are the retreat, making our movie reenactments (which definitely  brought out the crazy in us all), getting TONS of free food, scrimmaging Wayne State, alumni match, playing yard games with Calvin Men's Soccer, locker room music, and traveling to Chicago.
         I am so looking forward to growing closer as a team and playing in my first home match at Calvin this week. It's going to be a good season!!

Love,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment