Saturday, September 24, 2016

Nicknames

This week has been one of our few “off” weeks. Don’t get me wrong, we were not “off” in any way. We practiced hard, really hard. Over the course of four days we worked on many different skills, some individual and some team. We also had to do two of our long lifts (4 sets of 8), circuit training and lots of abs. Frankly I am exhausted. On top of that, this is the week when professors start giving exams. I have my first organic chemistry test tomorrow (Friday). Yikes!
            In all the hustle and bustle, I tend to forget to appreciate the little things in life. I begin to question myself: why do I put myself through this? What’s the point? I get really uptight and stressed when those thoughts enter into my head. Every time I get into one of those moods something always reminds me of what I am here for and why I am putting myself through this. I am here because I am called to be here. I am here to strengthen my relationship with the Lord and with my teammates. I am here to further my education. I am here to play volleyball to the best of my ability. Most importantly I need to remember that I am LOVED! I am constantly reminded of this everyday in the little things. This week my teammates decided I need a new nickname. Alyssa Scholten told me during practice that I looked like a veggie tales character (not sure why), so they decided that I looked like the girl carrot. My new nickname is carrot. The point is when they gave me a new nickname (even if it’s not my favorite), compliment me, or encourage me, they make me feel loved. When I feel loved, I strive to do my best in everything I do, for my teammates, myself, and most importantly the Lord.
            One of my main goals is to make sure that every single one of my teammates feels loved. This is why I strive to form deep, meaningful relationships with my teammates. So even on the “off” weeks we still work together to get through the little things and play the sport we love.

Love,

Jamie, JP, Carrot, etc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment